How can you extend the life of car tires?
Your tires are, in a sense, unsung heroes of your vehicle. Often, you don’t even fully notice them until they are failing or in dire need of repair, which can be frustrating since tire replacement is usually quite costly. If you find that your tires don’t seem to be lasting as long as they should, there may be ways you can prevent that. How can you extend the life of car tires? Read on for a few suggestions.
Five ways to make your car tires last longer
- Regularly inspect your tires. Maybe pick a day once a week when you have come home from work or school to take a close look at each of your tires. How is the wear and tear looking? Are there cracks or other issues that need addressing? Inspections can help you catch issues early enough to avoid replacement.
- Check your tire pressure regularly. Take a look at your owner’s manual for the proper pressure for each tire, and stop at the gas station for some air refills if need be. This is particularly important during seasonal temperature changes.
- Clean your tires regularly. Maybe you can combine this with the inspection. Getting your tires cleaned can help get rid of junk that may be embedded in the tread, wearing it down.
- Rotate your tires regularly. The front and rear tires do not wear out in the same way, so it is important to give each tire a different spot on the car.
- Make sure your wheels are aligned. Misalignment can also cause uneven and fast wear of your tires, so get to a service center if you notice your wheels are out of whack.